Before I begin this I would like to personally congratulate Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) on his presidential bid. Although I disagreed with how you ran your campaign and the things you allowed it still takes great courage to even run for President.
Last night John McCain told the mostly somber supporters at the rally at the Phoenix Biltmore Hotel, “I don’t know what more we could have done to try to win this election. We fought as hard as we could. And though we fell short, the failure is mine, not yours.” Well that’s gracious and respectable, but I don’t think it’s all John McCain’s fault.
Where I believe John McCain went wrong:
- I believe his first mistake was not doing as much as he could to fortify his base while Barack & Hillary was still battling it out.
- Saying that he knew how to or he can catch Bin Laden only if he is elected as President.
- Selecting Gov. Sarah Palin (R-AK).
- Subscribing to the “Karl Rove styled” attacks.
- Surrounding himself with the wrong people. The Republican Party has far better people that can run a disciplined campaign.
- Following an inconsistent message.
- Allowing divisive issues, such as race creep into his campaign and rallies and ignoring its presence.
- Not vetting Sarah Palin.
- Saying “The fundamentals of the economy are strong”.
- Agreeing with President George W. Bush 90% of the time.
I’m sure you can think of many more, but this is just a few of the top reasons I can think of at the moment.
Regardless of the reasons the bottom line is that John McCain is going back to the senate and Barack Obama is heading to the Oval Office.
I believe out of all of the things you allowed, the only thing I really think was a great contributing factor to your presidential political demise was “that one”. Sarah the so-called “Maverick”, “Hockey Mom”, “The Clueless Conservative”, “The Sarcastic Sister”, “Sarah the Governor” Palin. It’s not all her fault either, but she was a big contributing factor.
Why didn’t you just pick Mitt Romney instead?
Well that’s water under the bridge now. I appreciate the countless topics you gave me to talk about. I couldn’t get to them all, but perhaps I will revisit some of them in the future.
Go on back to one of your seven homes and get some rest, we have a lot of cleaning up to do after George W. Bush & Dick Cheney leaves the White House.
Reuters – 11/05/08 “Why John McCain lost the White House”